Thursday, October 06, 2005

Finding Freedom in Blogging

One of the aspects of blogging I am enjoying is giving myself permission ot write in a way that isn't constrained by too much of a concern for order and structure. Normally when I write, I spend an inordinate amount of time and energy seeking to maintain a highly structured format, for example, using an outline style in WordPerfect 5.1+.

This approach has led to some very successful documents that incorporated a clear and well structured outline table of contents - the first of which being Foundations for a Sustainable Common Future; others included Towards Earth Summit II and Financing for Development in a Knowledge-Based Economy.

However, in recent years, the net result of my seeking to impose an outline structure has been a slew of unfinished documents that staggered and came to a standstill under a burdensome outline that ususally grew so prolifically into levels of detail that most of the document would remain purely in an outline / sketch form.

I often recall the freedom in writing that I had discovered in the early days of electronic communictions - i.e. in the years before the 1992 Earth Summit, when I used to write many of my postings to the EcoNet conferences "live" while online - as there was nothing like the wonders of Eudora in those days. I remember feeling a similar freedom then as I let go of the ability to edit what I had written, just letting the words flow into the ether, as it were.

With blogging, however, I am finding that I am increasingly feeling comfortable with adding thoughts, comments observations and recollections whenever they come upforme -especially given that I see that it would be quite unrealistic to try to impose both a historical and logical sequence on what I write and when.

This way of writing - and letting myself hop / float around in my mind fits well with what is evolving as my modus operandi in general - a way that I have been inclined to for some time, and which the wonders of the Gates Exhibit in Central Park gave additional inspiration through what I perceived as a wonderful welcome invitation while in the exhibit to simply let myself be led by the wind and the light - so I allow myself to be led by the breezes in my mind, puffs of intuition - as I float and swim freely in and out the many gates, doors, rooms and windows of my digital home.

No comments: